Wednesday, December 6, 2017

#100 days of honesty Day 33: Happy 100th Birthday Finland!

Today we celebrate the 100th anniversary of Finnish Independence.

 This day made me think of all of the things I am thankful for in Finland. And I spent the afternoon and evening in a sentimental mood among all watching the presidental reception and party ("linnan juhlat") online.

In the evening I decided to make my own #suomi100 on the blog from photos close to my heart. Of course it is just  a part of all I could show since there are thousands of pictures. I will continue sorting the photos I picked tomorrow and probably publish them tomorrow or on Friday.

When I think of Finland I am thankful for all my friends, nature and human connections. Also for knowing what it means to be free. For being able to learn how to face and stand up to my own thoughts and feelings. To see a country where division has been growing in past years but still where there are values what almost everyone agrees on no matter what political party they support. Which gives one a sense of security and hope for the future.
Also Finnish democracy is something I am proud of. Having freedom of choice is quite a big thing.

Other things: I learned in Finland for example how to be silent together. And I don't mean it in a sarcastic way at all. Sometimes it is so refreshing just to sit in a room with people close to you but not to have to talk all the time and still feel a sense of belonging. You can read a book, or edit photos. The others can listen to a podcast or cook but you are still "together".

May be Finnish people do not talk so openly about their feelings to everyone but sometimes I wish people would take more effort to google translate Nordic magazines. I like to read Erowoman.dk a lot for example or Hidasta elämää. There are so many sophisticated and very well written articles about different parts of life in these newspapers and on these blogs. People talk about work-life balance, gender roles, single life, family life, depression, life changes- really everything- so bravely and with offering a perspective for the readers. Just because Nordic people are famous for their (on the surface) closedness it does not mean that they do not have a very well developed understanding of life and emotions- just in the contrary :).

I could go on here but I will rather show the photos tomorrow. Of course every country has its positives and negatives but today on this special day I wanted to devote my thoughts and my writing to the positives because it made me feel this way.

If you have any comments or questions related to Finland or any of the topics here feel free to leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment