Sunday, January 11, 2015

Positive Art Statements

It was so funny that some weeks ago folks on the internet totally freaked out about some "old lady" with sunglasses and white-grey hair in a fashion campaign of CĂ©line, the French luxury brand.

It was this picture:






The name of the lady is Joan Didion who has been actually a famous American writer and novelist and looked like this when she was young:







“All I knew was what I wasn’t, and it took me some years to discover what I was.

Which was a writer.
By which I mean not a "good" writer or a "bad" writer but simply a writer, a person whose most absorbed and passionate hourse are spent arranging words on pieces of paper. Had my credentials been in order I would never have become a writer. Had I been blessed with even limited access to my own mind there would have been no reason to write. I write entirely to find out what I’m thinking, what I’m looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear. Why did the oil refineries around Carquinez Straits seem sinister to me in the summer of 1956? Why have the night lights in the bevatron burned in my mind for twenty years? What is going on in these pictures in my mind?” 
― Joan Didion


No comments:

Post a Comment