Sunday, November 12, 2017

#100 days of honesty Day 8: Welcomes and goodbyes

PHOTO AND WRITING BY MONIKA CSAPO



Today after I said goodbye to my friend this bad feeling of after-goodbye caught me again. Sometimes when you don't see your friends for a long time you just say goodbye real quickly to be done with it fast. But then as you turn and start to leave sadness arises in you because you realize that something nice is over again.

You don't even think it through rationally. It is just getting from an emotional high to an emotional low within couple of minutes.

Back to today's scene: when I looked up after disappearing in my thoughts a bit the first thing I saw was the following script on a girl's jacket: "DON'T CRY. WORK!". Word, haha. Also: I need a jacket like this.

Of course these couple of minutes of sadness after goodbyes are so worth the nice times spent together and the whole friendship overall. We are lucky that nowadays there are emails, Whatsapp and Messenger and all these apps to keep in touch.

If we speak about adult people it would be normal anyways that our lives separate after studying together and we have different work places, relationship, family etc. So every time you can spend time together with your friends as an adult is precious not only when you live in different countries (or continents).

May be because of all these changes and coming and going I like my routines and favorite places so much. I have my favorite cheese cake place in Copenhagen and my favorite bakery in Vienna and my favorite coffeeshop in Helsinki. And when I know that I do not have so much time at one place and I am just passing by I use these places to get myself in the mood. And to arrive mentally and be able to be present much faster.

It is a bittersweet practice because of course as you visit the same places also memories arise of people not being around any longer there with you at the same place. But this is why traveling and having friends in different countries is the best unchosen zen practice of the world. It is a constant work of appreciation, acceptance and letting go. What really matters survives time and space anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment