Tuesday, May 7, 2013

“You live like this, sheltered, in a delicate world, and you believe you are living. Then you read a book… or you take a trip… and you discover that you are not living, that you are hibernating. The symptoms of hibernating are easily detectable: first, restlessness. The second symptom (when hibernating becomes dangerous and might degenerate into death): absence of pleasure. That is all. It appears like an innocuous illness. Monotony, boredom, death. Millions live like this (or die like this) without knowing it. They work in offices. They drive a car. They picnic with their families. They raise children. And then some shock treatment takes place, a person, a book, a song, and it awakens them and saves them from death. Some never awaken.” 
― Anaïs NinThe Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 1: 1931-1934



I really appreciate what this quote is telling about. I think I was also hibernating for long time in my life. I was living as if there would be a certain picture to fit, and always tried to make effort to behave properly and to fit in.
So many people have expectations towards us. We have expectations towards ourselves. We should be pretty, smart, fit, happy etc.

Today I had this instant realisation moment. I passed my diving theory lesson yesterday, but also not so nice things happened and started to make this "plus-minus" calculation. Thinking about if I am making the right choices, if I am heading towards happiness ,or whatever, the best way I can..

Then there was a silence gap in my thoughts and in the next moment this feeling overcame me that I like myself. And then it became stronger. And I remembered how much good and bad I lived through already in all these years on planet earth,and I am still not cynical or a bad person consciously hurting others. After all the falls I stood up, and opened my eyes a bit even wider to the world. I looked at myself a bit from the outside and I thought that even though I am still quite unsecure, I am sure I learnt a lot in the last times. And even though I do not know it consiously what it is, or I doubt it sometimes, all that additional skills and experience is working down beneath the surface inside me, leading me to better places, helping me to be more free and happy.

You do not have to do anything special and it is a good feeling to stop and say to yourself that you appreciate who you are. Not depending on anything, just because you respect who you became after all what has happened to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment