Monday, January 25, 2016

Vienna: Neubaugasse and Graben

As many times before also now those places turned out to be the best what I found while wandering around without a clear plan. When I saw an interesting house or I liked a street I simply kept going without knowing where exactly I am.


This is how I got to Neubaugasse after visiting Spittelberg. It is a famous side street of Mariahilferstrasse with an edgy touch. I really liked this place! It reminded me of a street in Norrebro in Copenhagen  what I visited couple of times by bike during my stay there during summer. 

It was refreshing to see something more alternative again. 

In Nordic countries the alternative scene is really strong and there alternative is many times almost mainstream. While in Central-Europe the mainstream taste is more conservative which leaves one from the North missing those edgy shops and streets after a while. I guess it is a question of values but it makes me very happy that no matter if I am in Vienna, Helsinki or in Budapest there are certain places where I can find the same kind of design and meet the same kind of people. So if I am missing that particular atmosphere I know imemdiately where to go.







I saw many good shops in Neubaugasse. There was a great mixture of Austrian designers, alternative clothing shops and a bit more high fashion chains (like Cos for example) there. I only took a latte this time while checking my photos this time but I plan to check one of the food places during my next visit because there were many nice small restaurants and coffee shops here.

From here I went to Mariahilferstrasse where I spent some time looking around in shops. Then I took the metro and visited the historical city center. I have been at this part of the city many times when my Mom has been organizing school trips to Vienna (my Mom is a teacher) and I have always liked Stephansdom and the surrounding streets. 

After buying some small gifts at the famous Julius Meinl I took some photos at Graben. I arrived by chance at a very good time because the sun was just about going down and the buildings which are beauitful also by themselves looked even prettier in the red-golden light.  A small pracitcal note here: if you want to buy Mozartkugels or Manner sweets it is much cheaper to get it from Mariahilferstrasse or from a Spar in the new shopping center at Hauptbahnhof. My first aim is usually not to save money when I am buying gifts but I was surprised when I saw later how overpriced certain products were at Julius Meinl compared to other shops. On the other hand Julius Meinl is perfect if you are looking for something really unique or exotic- that is more a real profile of this store.







PHOTOS AND WRITING BY MONIKA CSAPO

No comments:

Post a Comment